Friday 29 July 2016

It's Friday . . . Let's Dance



Today's track is either a great piece of indie dance or a cynical piece of bandwagon jumping by a bunch of chancers depending on your point of view. I'm strictly in the former camp, I have always had a soft spot for The Soup Dragons not just because I met Jim McCulloch in a pub in Lanark once and he was a cool guy or that they are from the 'shire. It may have had something to do with the hard time that they received from some sections of the music press when they found their groove which was in complete contrast to how Primal Scream's third transmogrification was greeted. Or the fact that from their days as an anorak band I always enjoyed the music they made. No matter what stance you took over the Soup Dragons, you have to agree this cover from 1990 featuring Junior Reed  of a fairly mediocre Rolling Stones song along with Loaded is the epitome of indie dance. I have had more than a few pleasurable nights jigging along to this song.

There is a Boy's Own mix by Terry Farley of I'm Free that I was sure that I had ripped but can't find. If I have time later I will add this too.

We're off to Machrihanish tomorrow for a week of listening to the rain batter down on the tin roof of a caravan and the odd spot of kite flying and body boarding. the latter by the boys not me of course, so nothing to see here until next Saturday.

Btw - If you are pondering whether to buy the Zomby/Burial collaboration, don't waste your money, it's utter gash.

Have a good weekend people.

Soup Dragons - I'm Free 

7 comments:

George said...

but will you be dancing at the Fall concert in Glasgow tonight, Drew?

drew said...

Unfortunately not George, it's tomorrow night. I did contemplate dropping the family off at Machrihanish and then heading back to Glasgow but thought better of that idea and anyway it's sold out.

George said...

Fair-weather Fall-fan!!!

George said...

I'm not going either.

drew said...

My embargo still stands. It will either be the best concert ever or complete shite, depending on which member of the Fall Forum you read.

drew said...

I've just thought George, of course your not going you're in bloody Portugal!

Swiss Adam said...

It's the rap that mars this record.