Tuesday 10 January 2017

Primitive



I suspect that I won't be alone in the fact that my introduction to this track came courtesy of a cover version by Lux and Ivy from the Cramps second LP Psychedelic Jungle. When I think about it those two introduced me to loads of music. The original version of Primitive was released, yes you've guessed it, in 1966 but was probably recorded the previous year as it came out in January by an uncompromising bunch from the Lower East Side of N.Y.C. This moody, smouldering piece of garage blues again failed to trouble the charts despite being released on  Atco records and probably due to the band's refusal to go along with the record companies attempts to market them and were subsequently dropped by the label and moved to greater obscurity in L.A. They did however leave us with this sleazy classic.

The Groupies -  Primitive

2 comments:

JTFL said...

Freakin' love this song!

Anonymous said...

This, of course, is the first time I've ever heard this song.

It's magnificent.....thank you!